The delicious village of Tripi stands out among Nebrodi Mountains. The remains of a medieval castle overlook the residential area and the Tyrrhenian Sea with a view on the Aeolian Islands.
But the high peak of Novara di Sicilia and the active volcano Etna distinguish this small village too. Maybe its ancient name was Steropium, like Sterope, one of the metalworkers of the god Vulcan.
Guided tour of the archaeological part of Tripi
The necropolis in the district Piano dating back to the 4th century BC is evocative. During farming activities some objects had been found out, which foresaw the presence of a hidden town: silver and bronze coins, fragments of pottery.
Here the important Siculan town of Abacena rose up. It established trade relationships after the arrival of the Greeks. But the coalition with the Carthaginians against Syracuse required the loss of a part of its territories. Abakainon expanded until the Tyrrhenian Sea: it bordered with Longane to the East, while there were Agathyroon, which is Capo D’Orlando now, Olontion, S. Marco d’Alunzio now, Halaese Arconidea e Kephaloidion, the current Cefalù to the West.
Today some old coins of Abacena are housed in some museums for example in Syracuse, Palermo, Florence, Paris, London, Berlin and New York. But the Multimedia Interactive Archaeological Museum “Santi Furnari” is not less important. The museum is named after the previous mayor of Tripi from 1948 to 1966, who promoted the first excavation campaign in the ‘50. The heirs of this mayor offered their palace decorated with painted ceilings, in order to house the grave goods from the necropolis, among them there are precious jewels.
Continue the guided tour of the medieval part of Tripi
Tripi lies on three levels, the upper part of the village is characterized by the Castle, the main Church and the baronial palace. The residential area is not likely to belong to the ancient houses of Abakainon, because Tripi is mentioned in historical texts only at the end of the Middle Ages. Its main Church of Saint Vincent, a martyr of Spain, patron of Tripi, was partially rebuilt after the 1908 earthquake, while its bell tower has got its original style.
Discover with us the alleys of a village, which has combined its old tradition and modernity.
Places to visit in Tripi
- Necropolis of the ancient town Abakainon
- Archaeological Museum “Santi Furnari”
- Remains of the medieval castle
- Church of Saint Vincent
- Church of Our Lady of Rosary
- Old palmenti, tanks of stone used for crushing grapes